Wednesday 4 April 2012

Book Review; The boy who was raised as a dog



Some people think I am crazy for reading such a work-related book in my spare time, however I am not a fan of  "mindless" reads usually and prefer to learn something or have to think about what I am reading. I loved this book! Even though it was full of concepts that I was already familiar with through work, I found Dr. Perry's explanations and examples allowed me to gain a greater depth to my knowledge of how trauma affects the developing brain.

Most importantly I found this book encouraging, to know that children who have suffered horrific abuse can make gains and progress with the right treatments and interventions, even if they don't start until they are older gives me hope for the little's that I have come across in my work. I honestly think that this book should be shared/given to every caregiver of a child who has experienced trauma, perhaps it will help them understand what is behind their child's behaviors in those moments when they are "lucky their cute".

I would recommend this book to anyone really, but specifically to caregivers, social workers, therapists, etc of children who have experienced trauma. Perhaps it will also encourage people to raise our children in the healthy communities that Dr. Perry describes...wouldn't that be amazing?!

<3 Kass

No comments: