Monday 4 August 2014

Secret blog post number 3

Written May 30th 2014, 5 weeks and one day pregnant!

pretty much every little thing is terrifying when pregnant..

This week my scary moment came after going to the doctor for my first checkup and being called a couple days later to be told that my thyroid levels are high, 4.6 TSH to be exact. Now, my doctor is “not concerned” and wanted to wait until right before my next checkup to re-do the blood work (June 25th), I have booked another appointment to understand why she is not concerned for next week. She told her medical admin that they just changed the guidelines, and while I am considered outside of normal now, last year I would have been considered normal…my question next week is why did they change the guidelines? And what is the risk to the baby for treating the problem so that my levels will be back to normal? I am going to advocate for treatment, as far as I can determine there is no risk to the baby to treat, and a risk that an underactive thyroid can affect babes brain development! Maybe I am being too careful, but it’s my babies brain, so this mama is in full advocacy mode!


That’s really all I have for scariness right now, we will see how the doctor’s appointment goes and if she decides to treat or re-test my blood etc. 

<3 Kass

No comments: