Monday 11 August 2014

The last secret post :)

Written July 8th 2014, 11 weeks and 1 day pregnant.

So I suck at keeping this updated apparently, so let’s do a quick update.

I was put on thyroid medication and my thyroid levels have stabilized! However it had time to affect my weight gain and I have gained about double what they tell you to during your first trimester. I am trying to be okay with this and just try to eat really well and exercise a little too.
There are two hard things about gaining weight, first is me. I worked so hard the last two years and was down around 25 pounds, into my “little clothes” and I was super proud of my body…seeing the weight go back on is so hard, and especially when it went on so fast. I think women are brainwashed to fear the weight gain, so no matter how much we tell ourselves that the baby needs us to be a little squishy its still a mental challenge.

Second thing that’s hard…people who are thoughtless and hateful. I have gained 10 pounds in the last 2-3 months, I get it, I am short and it’s obvious. However some people are really mean in what they say to pregnant women. I will make you a list of things you should not say to a woman who is expecting…all of these gems have been said to me recently.

1.       You won’t be able to hide your pregnancy much longer. DON’T SAY THIS UNLESS SOMEONE TOLD YOU THEY WERE PREGNANT!!!! Actually don’t say it at all.
2.       Are you sure there is just one in there… I mean really?! Is this comment freaking necessary?
3.       Hopefully you don’t gain weight at the same rate for the rest of your pregnancy. Hopefully I don’t loose my ability to be politically correct tell where to go and how to get there…

Its hard enough dealing with my own mental crap about gaining weight without uninvited opinions from the peanut gallery…so do the world a favor, don’t say stupid mean things to women period…never comment on weight gain; and once you know they are pregnant and they are showing you need to say nice things like “you look lovely”, “how amazing that you are growing a human inside of you” instead of commenting on how large they are getting, cause eventually we as a society need to recognize how amazing women are DESPITE how small, big, curvy whatever they are, period.

And to make everything worth it, I found babe’s heart beat on the Doppler today…best sound ever!! Mike was so cute and re-listened to the recording a couple of times…AMAZING!

Update

Thanks to synthroid my thyroid is back where it needs to be, and the weight gain has stabilized…I haven’t lost any, but I am not trying to either. Its steady now and my doc isn’t concerned so I am dealing. It helps that the belly LOOKS like it has a baby in it, as opposed to looking fat..

Also, all the pregnancy people base what you should aim to gain during pregnancy based on your BMI, a tool that even my doctor says is outdated and a piece of crapola due to it not taking into account muscle mass (I have a lot of muscle naturally). If I do my BMI on my pre-wedding weight it considered me overweight…I give the BMI a middle finger to that comment (stupid jerk), as I don’t feel like I was overweight at all, a little cushy but mostly muscle. SO I think the pregnancy fairy’s need to update the recommended gain and BMI stuff to reflect real women, or simply say, “eat healthy and try not to gain 100 pounds” instead of making women feel like a giant failure if they have gained half of their recommended weight gain in the first trimester due to an underactive thyroid. Sigh.

I promise the next post will be less grumpy…maybe, who knows.


<3 Kass

3 comments:

Lauren said...

I know how you feel - I gained more than I "should" have too in my first and second trimesters! The good news is that it might taper off and you will stick to what the doctors consider a healthy weight range. I was worried about gaining the weight too (guess that's what society does to you!) but in the end as long as you and baby are both healthy it really, really doesn't matter. And people do say the most hurtful things! Try not to hear them - you are growing a life inside of you, and that's beautiful!

Sarah said...

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time with it. People can be so stupid. When are we going to learn that it is not ok to make comments about pregnancy or weight gain in general? I gain all my weight in my tummy and you would not believe how many times I have been asked if I'm pregnant. What are you supposed to say to that "No, I'm just fat" (I would suggest that response just to watch the uncomfortable expressions). I'm sure you look beautiful and anyone not noticing the glow is an idiot.

Kassandra said...

Thanks ladies, I still get the occasional "are you sure it's not twins" comment...people just are silly...oh well!